The Annual Light Parade  

Posted by Eloise Smith

As long as I can remember, my family has gone to the light parade to kick off the Christmas season. Literally as long as I can remember. Up until 2005, we would drive up to the white mountains, watch the parade in the snow, have hot chocolate, snuggle in the hotel, and then the next day we would head out to the the woods and as a family search for our Christmas tree and cut it down together. These are some of my most treasured memories. Well, as time went on the parade died off in Eagar / Springerville so it wasn't the same as it was when we were really little. Fortunately, Safford had started it's own annual light parade. The year I was Miss Graham County was the second year they had it and I got to ride on one of the old (very old) fire engines. My family and I decorated it to represent both the pageant and the fire department (my dad is a fireman). We won an award and everything! It was SO much fun! For the next couple of years we continued to decorate it for the department. Now another family who has younger children has taken it over.

The parade is usually the first weekend in December and it was a little bit stressful getting down there. Cody had an interview with Eurofresh that morning so we had a lot on our minds. After his interview we booked it to Safford so I could do a classroom observation for my class. After all of that we grabbed a late afternoon snack with my mom and during that Cody got a phone call offering him the job! It was so exciting! It helped us relax and to really make it a special weekend.

I have to say I absolutely LOVE going to this parade. It is just magical. Joshua was mesmerized. He loved the lights, music, and people. Last year he fell asleep, but this year he was WIDE awake the entire time. He would say, "Oh wow" and "pretty" or "Santa, Santa!!" It was a blast just watching him. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the night. It was hard to choose my favorites.

He was so excited for the parade to start he kept looking down the street.

It was about to start so we bundled him up to cuddle with Grammy.

There were so many floats that were AWESOME! The BIG trucks are always a lot of fun.

I love Raggedy Ann and Andy so this was a favorite. I thought the Wagon was great!

Our little family watching the parade. It was really cold, but well worth it!

Another truck well done.

Telling Grandpa about one of the floats. Josh LOVES Grandpa!

The court house. They have decorated it like this for years. I have always loved it.

The City building with the town Christmas tree. They do a tree lighting the week before.

And of course Santa finishing things out! Josh loved him!

This entry was posted on 10:24 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments